Sunday, September 21, 2008

Thoughts and Prayers

I'm sure most people know by now that former Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker and DJ AM were severely wounded in a plane crash earlier this week in which four people lost their lives. Normally, asshole that I am, I don't mind when people poke fun at tragic accidents. I think death is something that needs to be taken in stride and there really is no opportune time to cease living, so it's kind of counter intuitive to call one death a tragedy and another no big deal. I'm just sorry that the lives of famous people get so much more attention than others, but that is the nature of the world. On the plus side, seemingly random events like this help remind us that anything really can happen and any moment and we must not only be careful in our day to day lives but balance that with living life to the fullest. Any loss of life is tragic and regrettable no matter the circumstances. The purpose of this post is not only to express my sadness for the families of everyone involved, but also to express my concern and thankfulness for anyone who might read this blog. To live an unacknowledged life is a great tragedy in itself. I once read an old philosophic saying that told us to live each day as if there were a raging fire in our hair. This means to live with energy and passion. So live with as much passion as you possibly can, because each day is little more than a dream fading away into nothingness.

No comments: